Morshansk district is located in the north of the region. It is believed that the first settlers inhabited this area about 5 000 years ago. In different epochs these lands were populated by Eastern Finns, early Slavs and Mordvinians. Large settlements like Ustye, Kareli and Mutasyevo appeared here by the 16th century. But already in 1671 such villages as Algasovo and Penki were completely burnt down as a punishment for local peasants’ participation in Stepan Razin’s revolt.
The lands of Morshansk district are thickly covered with forests. That’s why this part of the region can be called “the green lungs” of Tambov. The forests are rich in berries and mushrooms. Almost twenty rivers run across the district territory.
One of the most famous tourist attractions in the district is the Vorontsov-Dashkovs’ country estate comprised of the main manor, the second manor, stables, a park, and Church of the Annunciation built in 1890.