The building dates back to 1786 but most likely, it was rebuilt multiple times and now it bears signs of art nouveau typical for the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century. Historical records say that at the end of the 18th century, located near the Main Road as they called Astrakhan Road passing the town, this bulding was used as a postal stage. There were hotel rooms for travelers, rooms for coachmen and postmaster’s rooms.
Behind the building there used to be large stables and barns for the carriages. Possibly, many famous and outstanding personalities of the past could have passed Tambov post office on their way to their final destination. One of the celebrities was A.N. Radishchev, the Russian novelist, who passed The Main Road station on his way to Saratov province. The main architectural value of the building is in the fact that it is still used for its initial purpose. Near the entrance into the post office there is a milestone installed that informs the passers-by about the distance to Moscow – 448 verst (716.8 km).