The park stretches from Lenin Square along Karl Marx Street and reaches Oktyabrskaya Street. The park is called so in Vasily Petrov’s honor, the guards major who was conferred with the title of the Hero of the Soviet Union twice. In 1953, the monument to Vasily Petrov was erected in the center of the park. In Tambov he had to undergo a course of treatment after a serious wound resulted in his both arms being amputated.
Initially, there were old ramparts in the place of the park but at the beginning of the 20th century, M.L. Shorshorov, the honorary citizen of Tambov, sponsored the arrangement of the park. Simultaneously, the building of Shorshorov’s trade house was being built – the modern Museum and Exhibition center of Tambov region.
In summer one can enjoy the sweet smell of hundredth of flowers in Petrov park, the nice view of the lighted square fountains. For the art-lovers there is an art-project “The Pictures in Town” available in the park.