St. Nicholas church is one of the most ancient ones in Tambov metropolitanate – it is more than 400 years old. During these 400 years three St. Nicholas churches were built in Morshansk: in 1602, 1782 and 1848. The modern building of St. Nicholas church was constructed with the funds of the parishioners right after the town fire that had destroyed the previous building. The main altar of the church was consecrated in the name of St. Nicholas of Myra, the right side one – in honor of the Supreme Apostles Peter and Paul, the left one – in honor of the icon of Kazan Mother of God.
The small chapel not far from the church is worth of your notice. The local legend associates the construction of this chapel with the famous haulage of St. Nicholas church in 1814. The town authorities intended to build a new stone church but St. Nicholas church was still in perfect condition and they decided to keep the church but to move it somewhere else. Foreign engineers asked an incredibly large sum of money for this work. Instead, local peasant Dmitry Petrov suggested a solution. The church was literally carried by hands. It was moved 423 arshins (300 meters) away from where it initially stood and it was only the cross on top of the church swung slightly. The new church was never built. The chapel now marks the place where the main altar used to be.
The interior of the church has preserved its original design and strikes Morshansk citizens and tourists with its splendor. The church has the shapes of the late classicism and elements of Empire style.