The parish in Verkhny Shiray village was founded in the end of the 18th century. Two St. Nicholas churches were built: wooden and stone. After 1917, the wooden church was used as a granary while the stone one – as a local club. In 1987, the wooden church was returned to the parish. However, in April, 2007, it burnt down and since December, 2007, the divine servicies have been held in the stone church. The altar has been consecrated by the minor orders in honor of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.