Kazan Monastery was founded in the second half of the 17th century. The main church of the monastery is summer Kazan church built in 1791 by the foremen of Sarov Monastery. The second monastery church (the winter one) in honor of the Nativity of John the Precurser was founded in 1794 but the construction continued until 1821. The construction of the six-level monastery bell tower in 1848 completed the architectural look of the monastery.
Kazan monastery was closed on the 19th of October, 1918. The buildings of the monastery were handed over to the provincial Cheka. During the times of the civil war, after Antonov peasant revolt, the Soviet government arranged a camp in the monastery where they had interrogations and shootings of the rebels held. The grand bell tower was destroyed at that same time on the ground of its dilapidation.
The rebirth of Kazan monastery started in the end of 1992 but only in 2007 it was decided to restore the bell tower. On August, 30th, 2014, the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill consecrated the new monastery bell tower. The erected construction has undoubtedly become one of the main Tambov attractions. The full height of the building is 107 m. The golden dome with a huge lighted cross on top of it can be seen from any part of the town and its suburbs. The bell tower consists of 5 levels with a gate church at the base of the tower. Between the fourth and fifth levels of the belfry there was a big chiming clock installed. The upper level of the tower can function as a perfect scenic viewpoint to enjoy the view of Tambov and its suburbs. The new bell tower is equipped with a rich set of bells. The bell tower of Kazan monastery is the highest one in the Central Federal District and the second tallest in Russia after the spire of Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg. Its height is 107 m.