The oldest Tambov church, Savior's Transfiguration Cathedral, was founded by bishop and holy hierarch Pitirim in 1694. After the construction was over, the church and the square where it had been built was called in Pitirim’s honor. A city garden was organized to the right from the square. The territory of the garden is now occupied by the local amusement park.
It is known that during his service at Tambov cathedra hierarch Pitirim dug out at least three wells that are now considered as holy. One of them is located at the bank of the Tsna river near the walls of Savior's Transfiguration Cathedral.
A great number of pilgrims had been visiting Holy Pitirim’s spring from the end of the 17th century to the beginning of the 20th. In 1914, when St. Pitirim was canonized, Empress Maria Fyodorovna used her personal funds to sponsor the construction of a chapel over the spring. It was made of metal casted constructions decorated with mirrors. After the revolution the chapel was destroyed and the well was filled up. However, the spring continued to make its way to the surface of the ground. Believers cleared it out from time to time.In 2007 the destroyed chapel was reconstructed. The consecration of the bust of Tsar Nicholas II, the Passion-Bearer, took place in 2016 in the alley near the chapel. The bust of the emperor was erected in memory of his visit to Tambov in 1914 which was the year of canonization of St. Pitirim, the bishop of Tambov.