Merchant and titular counsellor Nikolay Tolmachyov’s house is one of the oldest in town. The mansion at the intersection of the streets was built in 1784-1785. A small one-storey extension was added to the western side of the house. Underneath, there is a deep cellar.
In 1876 Tolmachyov sold the house to Tambov branch of the state bank. The building was renovated and used for banking transactions. After the new state bank building was built in 1912-1913 all the transactions and services were moved to the new building while the old one was given out for the apartments for bank clerks.
After the revolution the building was confiscated and tenants – evicted. From then on it was used for administrative and engineer-constructing organizations. In prewar and war years there was one of the town district executive committees and in 1950s-1980s there was a planning and design office of organizations of construction and light industries.
Majority of Tambov female population knows this building as a “Beauty salon” that has been here since 1986.
These days the building has undergone reconstruction works. Some window openings have been replaced by the door ones. The façade and roof have been renovated as well. The decoration of the house is still its old cast-iron stairs leading to the second floor of the mansion. Today the building accommodates various offices.