The merchants’ house is a monument of history and culture and one of the first buildings of Morshansk town center. Leonid Fontalov was a merchant and town mayor (in 1898). The Fontalovs were bread sellers, bloodstock breeders and rich black earth landowners. Leonid’s mother, Matrona Fontalova, was well known in town for her charity.
The merchants’ house was famous for its stairs, molded ceilings, mirrors, parquet floors. In 2008, the building was renovated and called “The Palace of Happiness”. Today it rooms a registry office.