The village of Pushkari was formed in 1834 when the peasants from Pushkari settlement settled down here. The first wooden church was built by parishioners in 1848 and, for quite a while, it had been shared by two villages – Streltsi and Pushkari. The new stone church with its altar in the name of the Holy Spirit was consecrated in honor of St. Nicholas in Pushkari in 1901. The old church was left at the cemetery. The parish included a church school and guardianship.
During the Soviet years, the church was never closed officially but it was used as a granary. At the beginning of the 90s of the last century, the church building was returned to the faithful. However, it was quite a depressing sight – with no windows or doors, badly damaged both inside and outside. Since then, the church has been conducting regular services. The church has been reconstructed; it got its dome and roof fixed.