Old Selezni village has been known since the 17th century as Soldier sloboda of the Bald Mountains. The stone church was built in 1840 with funds of merchants Gnusov and Subochev. Later on, the parishioners funded the church being expanded. The new building ended up so big that the old church served as the refectory. On November, 6, 1911, the new church was consecrated: the main altar – in the name of the Epiphany, the side ones – in the names of the Holy Trinity and St. Nicholas. This church remains one of the most beautiful holy places of Tambov land.
In autumn of 1937, all the clergy of parish was captured by NKVD officers and sentenced to long terms of imprisonment while the 60-year-old priest of the church, Petr Demidovich Malov, was executed by shooting that same year. The church was never officially closed in the Soviet times, however, in 1943 it was used as a barn. In the 1950s, there was a fire in the closed church. From the 1940s to the 1980s the parishioners had been trying to bring the church back to life. But they succeeded only in 1988 when the church was given back to the believers among the first ones in the region.
The parish traditions are still followed dearly. The Dormition of the Mother of God (August, 28th) is honored in a special way. The night service with acathistus reading is held on the eve of the holiday. In the morning there is the Mass and service for the dead. After that the clergy followed by the parishioners are headed to the cemetery. A priest with choir walks around the graves and conducts the lity for the dead. The Saturdays of the remembrance of the departed parents are of special attention as well.