Rasskazovo is a small town of Tambov region situated at the bank of the Lesnoy Tambov river 40 km away from the regional center. The settlement in place of the modern town was formed in 1697. The main activities of locals were currying, soap and candle production, sheepskin coat trade and knitting of socks.
The turnover of the hosiery trade had been increasing with the growth of population in Rasskazovo. New knitting machines had appeared by the beginning of the 20th century and therefore hosiery factories offering products knitted by machines.
Today, just like a few centuries ago, people from various regions of Russia travel to Rasskazovo to purchase famous knitted products. Rasskazovo socks are the most popular. Even Rasskazovo coat of arms has a ball of wool in it to symbolize the old handicraft of local makers.
The most prominent sights of the town are Church of St. John the Theologian, Catherine’s Church and the Aseyevs’ country estate – Arzhenka.