22/1, Naberezhnaya Str., Tambov +7 (4752) 63-64-68
Тамбовская область

Morsha village populated by native Mordvinians is mentioned in the chronicles of the 17th century. Its good location on the navigable Tsna river that connected the settlement with Ryazan, Moscow, Nizhny Novgorod and other big cities of the Russian state stimulated fast growth and development of Morsha and, in 1779, by the decree of Catherine II it was transformed into Morshansk, the town that became a district one. The most important part of the town was its pier that was passed by 2.7 mln poods of goods. Although today the Tsna is hardly navigable, Morshansk coat of arms has “two small four-pointed anchors in blue background to symbolize the quiet pier of the town available for ships”.  

Until the 1870s, Morshansk had been the largest commercial and industrial town of Tambov province. However, things changed when the construction of Ryazan-Kozlov railroad began. The significance of Morshansk as of a commercial and transit center reduced considerably. Instead, large industrial enterprises appeared. Some of them are still in use.

The town didn’t suffer much during the years of World War II that’s why its central part looks practically the same as 100-150 years ago. After the fire that destroyed the wooden part of the town in 1875, Morshansk started being built up with stone detached houses. They were built not only for the sake of accommodation and offices. The house exterior displayed how wealthy its owner was. The symbol of Morshansk is its magnificent Trinity Cathedral.

 

Address
37, Oktyabrskaya Square, Morshansk, Tambov region
Site
www.promorshansk.ru
Phone
+7 (47533) 4-49-28