Mordovo district is located on Oka-Don plain and occupies the southern part of the region. The district center is Mordovo work settlement. According to one of the versions, the name of the settlement and district comes from Mordvinian linden woods first mentioned in the archival documents of 1685. However, another legend has it that once there was a den owned by Mordvin, the robber who used to strike fear into the locals. Finally, tsarist soldiers put an end to the gang leader’s business and the safe area turned into the village having kept the bandit’s name in history.
Church of Michael the Archangel famous for its faience iconostasis is situated in Mordovo district.