Michurinsk is a large junction station. There are two railway stations in town. Let’s have a closer look at Michurinsk-Uralsky one. The first train arrived here on September 4, 1866, starting regular train traffic along Ryazan-Kozlov railroad.
The railroad passing the town required the construction of a station. It was built in 1872 and appeared to be one of the most beautiful buildings in Kozlov. Originally, the railway station had only one floor. But as passenger and freight traffic increased, so did the station. The second floor was added. Only the wing with a restaurant remained without an overstorey because the construction didn’t allow it.
The new railway station ended up looking elegant with its rustic walls, front stairs leading to the square in front of the station. In olden days, the platform and the square were lit by gas-jets.
At the beginning of the XX century, the major part of the first floor was occupied by the five-year railroad school for boys. The second floor used to house a police department. At that time Kozlov railway station was considered to be well-equipped in terms of technology: one could send a telegram or a letter, transfer money, read the latest Moscow newspaper had just been delivered with a mail train and have lunch in the restaurant. In the center of the restaurant, there was a small fountain and an aquarium with goldfish.
Today, the station receives long-distance trains heading to Moscow, St. Petersburg, Voronezh, Saratov, Tambov, Volgograd, Vladikavkaz, and other cities. Extra trains to Sochi, Adler, and Anapa are assigned in the summertime. These trains connect the northern regions of the country with the southern resorts. The station is also a final destination for commuter trains.
The railway square is decorated with a round fountain with an apple in its center which is the symbol of the town. Passengers can have a sit on the bench next to Ivan Michurin. Another Michurin monument stands on the platform and is visible to the passengers in the passing trains.