Pitim village was founded in the end of the 17th century by the peasants who came from the village of the same name located at the North-East from Tambov (modern Pichayevo district). In 1889, the locals built a wooden one-altar church in honor of St. Michael the Archangel.
The church was closed in 1938 but in 1949 the believers could pray here again and the services continued from then on.
The church design represents a quadrangle bearing a light octagon crowned with a dome and cupola. From the East it is joined a five-sided altar apse, and from the West – a rectangular refectory under the gable roof and three-level bell tower with a tall spire. On the outside the church is sheathed with boards and painted in blue. The carved ornaments on the boards and the window frames are painted in a snow-white color. This church is a monument of history and architecture.