Kozlov boys’ business school was founded in 1897 in the building of girls’ classical school in Moskovskaya Street. Three years later the foundation of the new building was laid. It ended up being pretty impressive. The red-brick façade was decorated with large windows. The indoor finishing works had already been over by the summer of 1902. The college occupied a solid area of 1.3 hectares. The college students studied Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Accounting, Business Correspondence, Merchandising, and Business Geography.
The college welcomed children of all classes: merchants, petty bourgeois, gentry, and even peasants over the age of 10. The course duration was 7-8 years. However, the majority of students still belonged to the upper class as the education fee was pricey. Students wore a uniform that included a single-breasted black jacket, trousers, an overcoat trimmed with green fringe and a cockade cap. The uniform was the reason the college student had a moniker – “a pencil”. Upon finishing this educational institution, its graduates entered business institutes and technical schools of higher education.
The famous graduates of the college are writer K.A. Fedin, engineer and rear admiral, researcher of the northern and the Far Eastern seas, editor-in-chief of Naval Atlas L.A. Demin, painter S.G. Arkhipov.
At present, the building is occupied by Michurinsk state agricultural university.