Tambov was founded on April, 17th (in the old style), 1636, by the decree of Tsar Michael of Russia to defend Moscovite state from nomads. As years went by, the town lost its function of military watch fortress having become the center of Tambov province in 1719 and in 1779 – the administrative center of Tambov governorship headed by governor-general count R.I. Vorontsov.
Tambov coat of arms was approved in 1781. It was a beehive and three bees in azure background as symbols of diligence and bee-farming that Tambov people have been engaged in since long ago.
The most famous Tambov governor was poet and public figure Gavrila Derzhavin. A lot of legends are associated with his name, for instance, many Tambov citizens believe him to be the first governor. It is not true as Tambov province was formed later – in 1796.
Street lighting started functioning in 1860. Water pipeline came in use a few years later. At the turn of the 19th century Tambov appeared to be the center of grain trade. Agricultural product reprocessing factories and other industrial enterprises continued growing and developing. The unique local color and lifestyle of provincial Tambov of the first half of the 19th century had an honor to be mentioned in fiction books. “Nice town” Tambov was described in M.Y. Lermontov’s poem “The Tambov Treasurer’s Wife”.
Present-day Tambov has preserved many cultural and historical monuments of the past. Most notable out of them are Intercession church and Ascension Convent, the only in Tambov Roman Catholic church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, manufacturer M.V. Aseyev’s mansion (today it is a part of “The Aseyevs’ Estate” museum complex), the house with mezzanine in Russian Empire style on the premises of Lukianenko’s former estate (today it is Museum of Medicine History of Tambov region), the building of the former Nobility Assembly (today it houses Tambov state drama theatre and Puppet theatre), etc. Tambov has quite a number of memorials and monuments too.
Today, Tambov is all about lively roads and blocks surrounded by greenery, high newly-built buildings and cozy little detached houses, patriarchal side streets and alleys decorated by fountains. Rich in flowers and greenery, the town on the Tsna river is always ready to give a hearty welcome to all travelers at any time.