Kirsanov is a small cozy town situated at the right bank of the Vorona River. The first record of Kirsanov as of a settlement by Krasninsky ironworks dates back to 1702. The legend has it that its first settler was the native of Ustye Kirsan (Khrisan), Zubakhin who gave the town its present name. Kirsanov became the chief town of the district in 1779.
In the middle of the 19th century the town was developing its industry and extending its borders. The population also kept growing. The construction of Tambov-Saratov Railroad in 1870-1871 stimulated the development of Kirsanov economics. The town became the local center of grain and other agricultural product trade.
The land-use plan of Kirsanov was approved at the beginning of the 19th century. The urban space was made up of 16 streets crossing each other at a right angle and forming 32 blocks. The market place where town trade fairs were held had been arranged in the center of the town. Factories, a grain elevator, two colleges and a veterinary station fit perfectly into the plan. Five churches and Kirsanov Tikhvin-Bogoroditsky Convent were true decorations of the town. The citizens could use the services of pharmacies, outpatient clinic and a classical school for girls.
In 1920-1921, Kirsanov was in the middle of the peasant revolt known all over Russia as “Antonovshchina”. Not once, the rebels led by A.S. Antonov approached the town forcing the Soviet troops to hold the line.
The central part of Kirsanov has maintained the color of a Russian provincial town of the beginning of the 20th century. Just like a few centuries ago, Kirsanov coat of arms includes redshanks “in the blue field to symbolize that they are in abundance around the town”.